Last Saturday, was a significant day for me, as it was the first day I realised I was turning into my Father!. What warranted this realisation was me uttering to myself " Music was better in my day". What was it that elicited this utterance? well, in a fit of nostalgia deciding to listen to the UK Top 40 music charts on MTV.
It was, I estimate the first time I had listened to the top 40 in way over fifteen years. I am even surprised that it is still going. I can not even remember the last time I bought a CD Oh wait, I bought a Volkan Konak CD for my wife for her birthday two years ago - it's still unwrapped! Not that she doesn't like Volkan Konak, being from the Karadeniz she adores him. However as she explained to me, "I have all his MP3's!"
Listening away, to some group called "One direction"and then a man, who must be slightly on the pretentious side, to actually go by the name Will.I.am, I just pray that his surname is "aknob". I could take no more, and before the rather attractive female presenter announced " and this week's number one is" I turned off in despair. Despair at the British music scene that had once been the envy of the world.
When I packed for my new life in Turkey, ten years ago, one of the hardest parts was parting with my vinyl record collection. The actual songs ingrained on them were not the hardest part I was leaving. To me, every record represented a single moment in my life. Representations that in one way or the other shaped me into who I was. My record collection were my identity.. How painful it was to say goodbye to "It must be love" by Madness. A song, I would play non-stop, after my then girlfriend moved to London . I would travel from my small town to London by train every Saturday just to spend one day with her a week. She left me eventually and took along with her my Pogues " Run sodomy and the lash" vinyl. It took me a long time to get over it, that album meant the world to me!
Anyhow, one thing that I never would envisage is how much I would enjoy Turkish music. In fact, as I travel to and from work these days, it is usually a new Turkish song I have discovered that I am engrossed in. In fact, as I type this my ears are being treated to this little ditty.
Just like the Turkish culture itself, it's music scene is incredibly diverse. From the pop giants such as Tarkan, to the, in my opinion one of the best Ska bands in the world at the moment, Athena. A group who once competed in the Eurovision song contest, don't hold that against them though. Have a listen.
The eccentricity of characters that the UK music scene holds are mostly repeated in Turkey. It's full of some of the most eccentric characters ever assembled in one place. Top of the bill, must go to one Bulent Ersoy. Commonly known in Turkey as the Diva, she started life as a male singer and not a very successful one at that. However, following transgender surgery in London, she reinvented herself as a woman and is now one of Turkey's highest paid performers mostly specialising in Ottoman classical music. Now, between you and me, her music makes my ears bleed. However, I am sure there are those of you outside of Turkey that are saying to yourself " just what does a Turkish transgender singer look and sound like". So here she is in all her glory..
Now Bulent is popular, however her popularity pales into insignificance when held against one Mr Ibrahim Tatlesis. Known as Ibo, to his army of fans, he is probably the most successful and richest Turkish music star of all time. What is even more remarkable that attempts have been made on his life three times! Shot in the leg in 1990, survived an assassination attempt in 1997, and then shot in the head in 2011.You thought Keith Moon led a wild life huh?.The last shooting seems to have curtailed Ibo's recording career, unfortunately.
As, I said earlier Turkish music has many regional variations. Just as in the UK, regional diversity is reflected into it's music, than so it is in Turkey. Take for example, the capital Ankara. Usually played on a traditional guitar like instrument called a sas, it's songs are traditional. and if you ever have the fortune to attend a wedding in Ankara, you can be certain of two things. Firstly you will be entertained by the sound of traditional Ankara music. Secondly, you will be expected to dance! It is definitely not to everyones taste but me personally I love Ankara music, but absolutely no idea why!. Anyway, here is probably the most famous Ankara song, Ankara Misket.
As, I said earlier Turkish music has many regional variations. Just as in the UK, regional diversity is reflected into it's music, than so it is in Turkey. Take for example, the capital Ankara. Usually played on a traditional guitar like instrument called a sas, it's songs are traditional. and if you ever have the fortune to attend a wedding in Ankara, you can be certain of two things. Firstly you will be entertained by the sound of traditional Ankara music. Secondly, you will be expected to dance! It is definitely not to everyones taste but me personally I love Ankara music, but absolutely no idea why!. Anyway, here is probably the most famous Ankara song, Ankara Misket.
The craziness of Ankara music, is nothing when compared to the Anaotlian region. The music is usually accompanied with a dance called the horon. Fast paced, and incredibly mezmorising it becomes impossible to listen or watch without wanting to join in. Although, I fully recommened an oxygen tent to be on hand if you dare try it. I did once, and spend the rest of the evening feeling like I had just ran a marathon! However, take a look and be inspired.
Anyway, hope that gives you a very quick insight into the musical offerings of Turkey. A land, where still artist can play their instuments, write their own songs and perform on a stage without the need of a backing track. I will finish by giving you my top five Turkish songs on my player. Songs, that even if you have no idea what they are singing about can still be enjoyed by the beauty of the music. After all, a music is the universal language of mankind.
Number 5
Tanju Okan. Now, Tanju was, I say was as he died in 1996, a classical singer in the same vane of a Turkish, Frank Sinatra and just like Frank , Tanju liked a beer or two.However, that still doesn't take away the guy obviously had talent.
Anyway, hope that gives you a very quick insight into the musical offerings of Turkey. A land, where still artist can play their instuments, write their own songs and perform on a stage without the need of a backing track. I will finish by giving you my top five Turkish songs on my player. Songs, that even if you have no idea what they are singing about can still be enjoyed by the beauty of the music. After all, a music is the universal language of mankind.
Number 5
Tanju Okan. Now, Tanju was, I say was as he died in 1996, a classical singer in the same vane of a Turkish, Frank Sinatra and just like Frank , Tanju liked a beer or two.However, that still doesn't take away the guy obviously had talent.
Number 4
Now, no mention of Turkish music would be complete without mentioning Sezen Aksu. A woman who has sold an incredible 40 million albums world wide. Recently she played to a pack Royal Albert hall in London. Known as the "Queen of Turkish music", she still influences the Turkish music scene and is a prolific writer for other Turkish stars. A truly great performer..
Number 3
Duman are classed as an Antolian rock band who incorporate tradtional Turkish folk with rock with excellent results. Anytime, I feel slightly bored on the way to my work I always plug this in, turn up the volume and feels me with energy.
Number 2
Halil Sezai is a man of many talents an accomplished actor and singer song writer who I first heard when I was holidaying in the beautiful area of Capadochia. He is slowly getting more accreditation for his musical abilities. I so wish that someone would take this song and perform an English version of it.
Number 1
Well, I chose this song just simply because it' the song most played on my music player these days. The singer is actually not famous at all, she appeared in a competition on TV here and performed "Işyın" a song written and performed by Halil Sezai. Just simply, it's beautiful!
So there we have it, my choices. However if you have any other choices or comments please let me know.
Stay safe
Now, no mention of Turkish music would be complete without mentioning Sezen Aksu. A woman who has sold an incredible 40 million albums world wide. Recently she played to a pack Royal Albert hall in London. Known as the "Queen of Turkish music", she still influences the Turkish music scene and is a prolific writer for other Turkish stars. A truly great performer..
Number 3
Duman are classed as an Antolian rock band who incorporate tradtional Turkish folk with rock with excellent results. Anytime, I feel slightly bored on the way to my work I always plug this in, turn up the volume and feels me with energy.
Number 2
Halil Sezai is a man of many talents an accomplished actor and singer song writer who I first heard when I was holidaying in the beautiful area of Capadochia. He is slowly getting more accreditation for his musical abilities. I so wish that someone would take this song and perform an English version of it.
Well, I chose this song just simply because it' the song most played on my music player these days. The singer is actually not famous at all, she appeared in a competition on TV here and performed "Işyın" a song written and performed by Halil Sezai. Just simply, it's beautiful!
So there we have it, my choices. However if you have any other choices or comments please let me know.
Stay safe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw
ReplyDeleteMaybe we can get Ibo and Bulent Ersoy to do a remix of it. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't forget the late great Zeki Muren - Liberace had nothing compared to Zeki.
ReplyDeleteI heard some of Zeki Muren's music the other day. He definitely was a flamboyant character very much a Turkish Liberace.
ReplyDeleteCan't believe you left out Bariş Manço and the anthem that is 'Domates, biber, patlican' ;-)
ReplyDeleteBulent Ersoy makes me put my fingers in my ears!!
We have been to the Ibo show twice. I'm not really a fan to be honest but the hubby likes him.
Have you heard of Can Attila the Turkish composer? Just beautiful if you like classical.
Hi Kym, thanks so much for reading and your comment.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree Baris Manco was superb and so well loved in Turkey. While I was writing this , it made me realise how many incredible artist there are in Turkey. Such a shame that they do not get enough recognition throughout the world. I think I will have to do a part two of the music section :)
The Ibo concert must have been such an experience. I am not really a fan either but can only admire him coming from his background to the heights he is he today!
I do know Can Atilla and again totally agree, such an incredible composer. Damm, you make me want to write Part two now, so I can give all these great artist due credit. :)
Thanks once again.