Translate

Saturday, 6 April 2013

The ongoing tradition of Midnight Express!


This week I downloaded the Oscar winning film Argo, Yes I do know downloading films is immoral and technically stealing  However I once paid 20 pounds for me and a girlfriend to watch the painfully awful "blockbuster" Waterworld, so Hollywood was in my debt!

For those that do not know Argo, it tells the story of how six Americans were smuggled out of Iran after the 1979 Islamic revolution. The pretense "Based on a true story" is tagged at the beginning of the film, which always sets the alarm bells ringing. My suspicions were confirmed after watching the film. The tag line should have read " Based on a true story, where some people have been added, characters changed, the true story deviates at nearly every scene and the Americans will come out as heroes .” Remember the film U-571, the thrilling story where the Americans captured the enigma coding machine? - actually it was the British and the Polish forces!. Who can forget "Saving Private Ryan", where effectively it is presented that the D-Day landings in Normandy were a solely American affair. Well, Argo doesn't let you down and continues in that wonderful Hollywood tradition history of re-writing history.

Argo Trailer
As the six Americans go on the run around Tehran looking for a safe house to escape the hoards of Iranian revolutionaries, the film cuts to a CIA office in the Pentagon and the line " Brits turned them away" is thrown to the audience. With that line you can hear the popcorn eating, Pepsi swigging movie going public of the USA thinking as one " Those damn Brits after all we did for them in the Second World War"

The truth of course is very different, as back in 1979, British diplomats put their life's in immense danger assisting the six to a safe house in a British compound. As the CIA officer Antonio Mendez, who helped to mount the eventual rescue, recalls in his book, Argo: ‘The British were kind hosts, and offered them a house of their own, fed them a warm meal, even prepared cocktails.’ Slightly different then from “the Brits turned them away”!  Why should we care though, it's just a film! Well a film now, but the worrying fact is that in later years it is not beyond the realms of probability that it will be  considered by students as the definitive history of the events .

As the credits rolled I was amazed to observe that parts of the movie were filmed in Turkey. Amazed because if any country knows the dangers of falsifying true fact for Hollywood's financial gain then it is the beautiful country I reside in now!

Way back in 1978 another Oscar winning film was taking the world by storm. Midnight Express was another Hollywood “Based on a true story” epic that grossed 35 million dollars in the USA alone! The film based on the autobiographic  book of the same name, follows the story of Billy Hayes. Hayes, an American, was imprisoned in Turkey in 1970 whilst attempting to smuggle two kilos of hashish through Turkish customs. Sentenced firstly to four years his sentenced is then raised to thirty years on appeal by the Turkish prosecution department. After five years, whilst imprisoned on an island prison, Hayes escapes by boat and makes it to Greece!

The wording in the trailer speaks volumes
 
Any foreigner that resides in Turkey or any foreigner that has stepped foot on Turkish soil on holiday or business would no doubt have been teased “ Wouldn’t go to Turkey – I saw Midnight Express” usually followed with a snigger and a sharp intake of breath! The reason for this is that Midnight Express is not so much a film but a full blown cultural assignation of a whole nation!. Turks are depicted as violent, immoral, venal, psychopathic and debased. It's understandable to portray violent, dangerous criminals in such an unflattering light, but the film extended this negative ethos to the judiciary, the courts and civil servants and any Turk within the films grasp. Indeed, Midnight Express appeared to indict the entire Turkish nation as hopelessly corrupt, grotesque and “evil. Hollywood has long used certain ethnic group as “villains” – depending upon current events and political trends, Arabs, Mexicans, American-Indians, Germans and Japanese, among others, have fulfilled this role (usually by actors whose own ethnicity did not match the parts they played). However none had as much affect on a nation as Midnight Express had on the Turkish Republic.

Now, one would have to be hopelessly naïve to suggest that the Turkish judiciary system was perfect then or even now come to that or that the Turkish prison system is or was a bed of roses. Which prison service is?. However, the story “based on a true story” sets out , without any fear of libel, to eradicate any positive feeling the world may have had at that time. Although after the 1974 Turkish invasion or peace force, depending which side of the fence you face, the World did not look at Turkey favorably . In fact, in 1978 America issued an arms embargo on Turkey. With this in mind, maybe this is why the director Alan Parker and David Putnam the producer , held no qualms in showing Turkey in this grotesque way.

If the film crawled in 35 million dollars in the USA, I would consider that a drop in the ocean to the financial loss in tourism over the years due to the portrayal of  Turkey in the film. In 1980, the Turkish tourism industry reported a drop of 90% in American tourist visiting the Turkish republic. That’s a lot of dollars!. One can only guess at how many dollars have been lost by companies choosing to not invest in that “ evil” country ! The affect though is not just financial, Turkish citizens the world over were painted with the “Midnight” brush – not to be trusted and uneducated! The xenophobic nature of the film, shows Turks as inhospitable uncaring people who would cheat on their own Grandmother to gain an advantage. For those of us that has enjoyed Turkish hospitality it is a sad and disgusting insult!

However, what about the man at the center of all this, Billy Hayes.  Hayes, was just twenty two years old in 1970, a real live Billy the Kid. Young, naïve and immensely stupid. In those illiberal days of 1970, hashish was still seen as a highly dangerous drug and guaranteed to ruin societies if it was allowed to escalate. No more so than in Turkey, although a politically secular country it still held strong Islamic views . One can only question Hayes’s thought process to think he could smuggle two kilograms of drugs through Turkish customs and if caught to only gain a light sentence . He only needed to check his own country, where sentences of 15-20 years imprisonment were common back in the early 70’s for the very offence he committed.

After the films release then a new Billy emerged – Billy the Hero!. After the twisted morality of Midnight Express was screened, Hayes, the American drug smuggler. became a kind of “noble hero” held up having survived against the violence and corruption of the Turks or any society that didn’t fit into American foreign policy at the time . Harping back to Argo, is it just a coincidence that a film that portrays Iranians in such a negative way is released at a time when American / Iranian relations is at such a low ebb?.

After the release, Hayes became the darling of the talk shows, wheeled around the studios of the USA, on display as the man who went through hell and survived. The fact that he attempted to smuggle two kilograms of drugs was secondary to the tales of survival from that hideous place! Billy Hayes is not so much a person these days as a company. The estimated book sales of the original book run into the millions. Further added with the release last year of “Midnight return” As I type this Mr Hayes is in my own country, touring the WH Smiths and Waterstones churning out the endless tales, all based on lies. Incredibly, also touring the UK now is, I kidded you not, “ Midnight Express – The ballet”! The old adage “Crime doesn’t pay” obviously doesn’t extend to Mr Hayes, where crime and falsehoods pay well, very well!

download

The last Billy though, could well be named after the classic Keith Waterhouse book -  Billy Liar!. After the storm that Midnight Express caused had died down and probably after the cash from his book and film rights had started to wane, Hayes went on a campaign of “ I am disgusted at how the film portrayed Turkey”!. At this stage of his ongoing drama, he decided that he was in anguish at how the Turkish Republic and it’s citizens had been shown.  Full of remorse at how Parker’s movie had dehumanized Turks and a Turkey he now claimed he loved so much and how it was his wish to return and see the beautiful city of Istanbul again. Now, as Mr Hayes held the film rights wouldn’t it be slightly odd, if he never read the film script before a single shot was taken in Malta, where the film was shot, with Italian, Maltese and Greek actors with such awful Turkish that even Turks had trouble understanding them.

With this new direction of humility again Mr. Hayes sat his bottom on TV and radio talk shows across the Good ‘ol USA. Paid of course one would guess!  In a recent online interview (here) for National Geographic to promote his “The real Midnight Express” he was asked the question. “Do you have any regrets?”. The regret of before of his damage to the Turkish Republic seems to have disappeared and no mention is made of it at all. The remorse card obviously worked with Turkey, who invited Billy Hayes back to the Turkish republic in 2007 on a seven day visa. The Turks in doing this showed more restraint than most other nations on an individual that had caused so much racialist contamination on Turkey and it’s culture!. It’s with great irony that after Billy Hayes returned to the USA he directed a play entitled “ The cock and bull story”!

Hollywood films have a terrible and engaging power to influence and shape our minds even on those that regard ourselves as perceptive. Midnight Express made a lot of money for a lot of people and as with Billy Hayes it continues to do so. Ultimately that is all Hollywood really cares about. It feeds, the minds of the gullible in as a dramatic way possible. Doing so in a country that prides itself on fairness of mind and respect for others.  However as film-goers and consumers, we should realize that movies are highly biased and often designed to manipulate the audience. Movies like Midnight Express, especially those which are as well made and entertaining, can not only be harmful but most of all push us to hate nations and the people of those nations. As I guess is the case now with Argo and Iran and it’s people. Sad, very sad!

Westy














18 comments:

  1. "Yes I do know downloading films is immoral and technically stealing" Umm immoral? Debateable, Technically Stealing, definitely not mate, stealing removes the object in question, its "technically" copying, if someone made an exact replica or your car and drove it around your car isn't stolen! You still have it!

    Anyway, pedantry aside for the first time I can remember I disagree with much of your blog, yes, Mr Hayes got rich and famous just as many criminals have selling their stories, the latest being Amanda Knox.

    I think the book and the movie was an accurate protrayal of his feeling inside jail, I think they should've played up a little more the fact that he was knowingly smuggling drugs but the facts in the story aren't disputed and we all know that even today the justice system in Turkey leaves a huge amount to be desired and to have your sentenced chopped and changed and promises broken shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who lived here longer than 12 months.

    I dont think the "Turks" were portrayed badly but certainly the prison system and the ones there in power were, there were the off hand remarks that generalise Turkish behaviour mentioned in the movie but nothing that's I haven't heard many expats mention (and worse).

    In my opinion the Turkish Government were as much cashing in as the US by making such a storm in a teacup and as sensitive (and still illegal) the issue is of "insulting Turkishness" I think its used as a shield for nationalists and apologists to hide behind and this movie has been the scapegoat for a lot of uncalled for criticism.

    I think if I had been in Mr Hayes situation and I was writing about my experiences, if even half of his writings of his treatment are true, mine would be tinged with resentment too and I think any intelligent viewer factors this in when reading (or watching).

    But Im with you 100% on Argo, I enjoyed it as a movie but "based on true events"? Mmmm, yeah VERY LOOSELY based on true events :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think where my problem lays mate, is that anyone viewing Midnight Express" is left with 100% negative view of Turkey. Even in Argo, they had at least one good Iranian (The girl working at the Canadian Embassy. Midnight Express, has no balancing characters at all. I know it was in 1978, but it definitely does not resemble a Turkey I recognize at all

    I think the story as portrayed in the movie move well away from the true facts. Biting another inmates tongue off?. Sexually abused by guards? and an attempted rape which saw him kill the guard and make his escape? All, totally for the fee paying public to keep them on their seats. If the Hollywood had made a fictional film showing these scenes then probably they would have got flack but remember it goes with the tag "based on a true story"! As in Argo the word "based" should be replaced with "loosely adapted"

    My problem with Hayes, is the manner of his the way he claimed his richess. Quite happy to say nothing when the film was in it's glory (and he claiming film rights) but then playing the "I was wronged" card!

    Definitely agree on the Turkish Government cashing on and using it to their advantage! Those in power would never really be affected by it. The Turks who worked in tourism who lost their jobs after the massive decline in tourism immediately after paid heavily though. Along, with Turkish citizens who had their characters questioned on the bases of a film!

    As for Argo - How the hell did that win an Oscar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Hayes seems like a flip flopping ahole for his "retraction" but I don wonder how much pressure was put on him by the US and Turkish authorities to do it? Ill bet in private he doesn't regret anything he wrote but of course I'm guessing, we dont know the "true facts" only William Hayes really does and to take either side is showing its own kind of prejudice or "racism" whatever you want to call it, it may have happened it may not but as I said before, if only HALF of it its true its still harrowing.

    I personally dont see why Turks got so upset, the movie I watched and the book I read was 95% about his time INSIDE the prison system, with a very small amount written about his time in Istanbul and his initial custody that sounds like any country in the world.

    I dont see how "the Turks" (and by this lets be honest, we really mean "the government and nationalists" (which do make up a HUGE portion of the stats)) can be offended unless they extrapolate his writings of the inner workings of a jail to mean the whole of Turkey is a jail! That's a huge leap in metaphors in anyone's book. Sure there were a few "I hate Turks" kind of comments in the movie but it was about some foreigners locked up together in Turkey! Of course there's gonna be those! To write them out would make it even worse than Argo! :)

    In its time I think he was right to publish, its in the past, it cant and shouldn't be applied today, FFS people say the bible and Koran cant be interpreted literally as they were "Meant for a different time" but a movie must be relevant in the current age forever? Some people, and it turns out, some countries, just love to be victims for as long as they can milk it.

    Hayes was a criminal and deserved to be punished according to laws of Turkey, he may not have liked them or agreed with them, just like the many many journalists and students in prison here today but he had to abide by them and simply wrote his experiences as a diary and comparison of the system from his home country and I dont think he should be chastised for that.

    Saying that, I dont think (as a convicted criminal) he should have financially benefited either (mind you the ones that have gotten off , Knox, OJ etc. I dont think should benefit either but that's "democracy" for you!)

    As for poor old Argo, I think the Oscars are like the Nobel Peace Prize now, they are awarded to the absolute LEAST deserving case every time now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much doubt he regrets anything - it has made him a very rich man. I guess, we have to be totally up-front and question if we would have done the same if in his shoes. If I take a step back then in all probability I probably would have milked the situation financially also. Slightly hypocritical I know but hey - I am not him :)

    I think it is self pride in the upset stakes. Personally, If a film had been made about Britain along the same lines in 1978 about England then I would have been equally offended by it.

    I have no problem with his book, which as you said is more about his experiences in prison. As I said before where my problem lays with him is allowing the film script to deviate to a massive scale and saying nothing whilst declaring later his "regret"!

    Think we should make a film parody regarding TEDAS and call it "Midnight no Leccie"...bang it in for best Foreign Film at the next Oscars:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear Cuba's Tourism has dropped off since the US run concentration camp in Guantanamo was opened too ;)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_NOc6yH5JY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also hear sadly that the Cornish tourism industry has been affected badly by having this occupant!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuaWWEiBpI

    ReplyDelete
  7. :)

    I dont think the film was THAT different to the book was it? been a long time since I read it.

    my point I was trying to make though was it wasnt a film about "Turkey", if someone made a movie about the conditions and treatment inside a British Jail would you think thats offensive to the whole country?

    its a sad look at conditions in one jail in Turkey and one mans experience of the j u stice system and his incarceration here, thats it.

    we'll have to agree to disagree here as I really cant see how making this a film about Turkey in general is anything but oversensitive nationalism. if Turkey are trying to say that there prisons were run completely clinically and professionally back then then we both know thats bullshit.

    so they had some bad apples and conditions were crap in some places and the jystice system needed development, it still does (and not just in Turkey)

    whatever the personal feelings towards mr hayes I think using this movie to justify being offended "as a Turk" is more insulting to the intellugence of the majority of the Turkish peopke as the "offense" offered by the movie.

    so tourism dropped, so what, maybe the americans were a scared xenophobic bunch, easily swayed by their media (hard to belive I know) bird flu made tourism drop here too, who can we scream at for being "anti turkish" for that?

    Germany has had many movies made about its prisons and camps, the US sponsors prisons and camps and through rendition supports the worst torture and conditions in the world in 2013! Theres plenty of movies directly attacking British culture as a whole rather than one of its prisons and im not offended, certainly not if I see its true.

    I know we differ on this but despite what I feel about wiiliam hayes I see this as an opportunity for those nationalists looking to find something to be offended about to bang their drums and claim how untrue and hard done by they are in a movie about ONE prison in ONE city in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion, It is vastly different mate, OK - the general story is there, of life in a Turkish prison, but scenes of attempted rape and biting another prisoners tongue out, along with the final killing of the guard are pure works of fiction.

    I personally wouldn't be offended if a film was made such as this about Britain, if it either intentionally or unintentionally decided to tar all and sundry as uneducated idiots. I am sure the film makers were pretty aware of what they were doing and to not add any sense of balance of Turks in the film to me confirms that.

    I think Turks are quite aware of what conditions were and probably are still like in their prisons. However, the imbalance of characters in the film left a clear message that back in 1978 Turkey was a place to stay well clear from.

    I sometimes wonder the involvement, if any of the USA Government in some of these films. As I wrote, is it really a coincidence that Argo is released at a time when American's are looking for support against Iran and it's Nuclear program?. Pretty sure soon, we will have a film of some American citizens escaping from Pyongyang! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :-) fair enough, I'll pretend with the other offenders that there has never been rape or abuse in the prisons :-)


    ok, the final killing was an exaggeration for obvious film ending poetic licence but it's still NOT ABOUT TURKEY IN GENERAL, it sent a message to say don't smuggle drugs in Turkey, not don't come. there was very little filmed outside the prison.


    Anyway,Hollywood is owned by the same people that own the government so of course there's a continuing propaganda machine there but if the people are stupid enough to use it as an excuse then....


    I'm going to go digging now to see if the Turkish film industry gas Ever made any film that shows a nasty side of the US or any other foreign country for that matter, how long do you think the hunt will take? :-)


    it's a great blog again anyway mate even if we do fall on opposing sides, had a good debate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am sure there must be quite a few films that show some very strong American bias:). Actually , that is a good idea mate, see if I can find one and I can redress the balance and write about it:)

    Well debate when done well is designed to make the opposing side think - and you did that as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One reason "Midnight Express" was able to do such damage was because it was America's 'single story' about Turkey. http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's a very good point Karen thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very interesting talk Karen, thanks for posting. She is so true, the "single" story if told enough becomes fact and not fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to know the wife of an American diplomat who visited US prisoners in Turkish jails. Hayes was one of those on her list and she was very vocal about his exaggeration of events. I agree with Westy that this film set back the mass tourist market in Turkey by years BUT we got instead fantastic "travellers", who were indifferent to the media portrayal . These kinds of tourists are thin on the ground now that the "bums on seats" trade, which started at the end of the 1980s, took over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I met one of those "traveler" types in Trabzon a few weeks back Annie. Amazingly he was hitch hiking from Paris to Vietnam!. He was on 23 years old and loved his sense of adventure!. Love to know where he is now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I neither read the book, nor saw the film, but have read lots of views on it, and decided not to explore further. I don't enjoy biased accounts "based on a true story".

    I'm afraid I do think that Americans distort the truth when it comes to portraying a factual event. There were so many films about World War 2 that gave the impression that the Americans won the war with very little help from any other nation. My late father and many of his friends, who fought in the war, used to get very angry about it, and I can recall settling down to watch yet another American war film, and my father switching off half way through in disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your decision to neither read the book or see the film would be the best decision possible Ayak. Talking of distorting the truth, I am constantly reminded about the evil English and their treatment of the Scots and William Wallace as portrayed in Braveheart!. I always ask them, "Do you know the true story?"..of course they do not but their mind has been set solely on a Hollywood film!

    ReplyDelete